Thursday, February 24, 2011

Goal Setting

Lately, I have been reading a book about mental training (The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training).  There are a lot of really great points addressed in the book...one of which is goal setting.  It says that you should have goals for different areas of your life.  It also mentions that these goals should be in writing so you can be held accountable to achieve them.  It also states that you may need support from family and friends at times when you get side tracked to get you back on track so you can achieve your goals.  For those of you reading this, please help me find the paved road again if I get lost on the gravel roads!!  So...here I go...

My yearly goal...to be fit enough to be able to finish my first Ironman in early September.
My race goals...half-marathon in April, early season Olympic-distance race, marathon in May and a half-Ironman in July to prepare me for the Ironman event.
My feeling goal...to feel relaxed and comfortable during races and not suffer too much late in races.
My training goal...improve my 500 TT in the pool by 50 seconds (current 500 TT=9:35...goal=8:45), increase my power on the bike to help me ride comfortably at an average pace above 16 mph on long rides and running comfortably at an 8:40 pace for long endurance runs.
My lifestyle goal...cutting sugar out of my diet and getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
My fulfillment goal...succeeding at these new challenges and enjoying myself during training and racing.

By achieving the last 5 goals, I will set myself up to achieve my first goal...finish my first Ironman in September 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment