Thursday, January 6, 2011

Good Start to Ironman Training!!

I am definitely off to a good start with Ironman training!!  I am feeling really good about my workouts and my accomplishments this week!!  Yesterday at noon I swam 2200 yards in the pool.  By the end of the workout, I felt my form start to falter since I was getting tired.  It has been a while since I last swam these distances...especially 2 in one week :) 

Last night we had a group trainer ride in our basement.  I followed my scheduled workout on the bike, but didn't feel as though I kept the pace I am hoping for.  I know I have a lot of room for improvement on the bike, and I am starting to get impatient with my progress in this area.  I biked 19.86 miles in 90 minutes...UGH!!  At this rate, I won't make the bike cut-off for IM.  I am not going to let this get me down though, because I know I can do better and am going to keep plugging away...plus I have 9 months to improve :)

This morning I was up at 5 am to run a 40 min fartlek run around town.  This was AMAZING.  I managed a decent pace while covering 4.53 miles.  It was lightly snowing with temps in the mid 20s and I had my two best training partners beside me...Hubby and Mara :)

I am feeling really good about putting my training first (not before the family though) and scheduling it into every day so that nothing can get in the way of it.  I am definitely off to a good start with Ironman training!!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what kind of workouts you are doing on the bike, but don't sweat where you are now. I never put on a heart rate monitor or get out of my small ring (on a trainer) until I have at least 1,000 miles in my legs just spinning. IMHO it is the absolute best thing you can do to work on your leg speed. SPIN SPIN SPIN. I'll go to spin classes on top of that, but that is bonus. Then when I get outside in the spring, same thing...500 miles in the small ring of spinning before any interval or climbing work. Makes a TON of difference later on in the season.

    ReplyDelete